Can I take my firework stand home with me each day?
No. Stands must remain at the same location for the durations of the sales period. If at any time the stand is moved the permit is voided. Also, in accordance with Regulation 71-7405.5(A), the stand must remain tied down and the wheels must be removed.
Can I import my own fireworks?
No. Licensed retailers shall purchase from a licensed wholesaler or jobber as per S.C. Board of Pyrotechnic Safety Regulation 71-7405.1(D)(10)). Here is a list of licensed Wholesaler/Jobbers.
I want to put on a firework show for my community is there a permit for that?
The Board handles the sale and storage of fireworks. Questions about permitting for fireworks display shows should be directed to the Office of State Fire Marshal.
How old do you have to be to purchase fireworks?
South Carolina State Law states that no person under the age of sixteen (16) shall be sold permissible fireworks.
Can I sell fireworks from a tent?
No. State law prohibits the retail sale of consumer fireworks from a tent, canopy and membrane structures.
Can I sell fireworks from a vehicle?
No. Fireworks cannot be sold from vehicles such as cars, vans, buses or any other motor driven vehicle.
How can I tell if a fireworks stand is approved to sell fireworks in South Carolina?
A 3" x 5" permit sticker is posted on the building.
What is the license fee for a fireworks stand?
The fee for a temporary stand (90 day license) is $100. The fee for a permanent stand (annual license) is $200.
Are M-80s and Cherry Bombs legal in South Carolina?
No. Those types of fireworks have been prohibited by Federal Law since 1966. Firecrackers sold to the public in the U.S. can only have 50 milligrams or less of pyrotechnic composition per firecracker. A true M-80 contains much more than 50 milligrams, and is therefore illegal.
How do I make a complaint regarding a fireworks facility?
Complaints can be filed by contacting the Board by email at contact.pyro@llr.sc.gov or phone at (803) 896-4259.
I sent my Application for a Retailer Fireworks License in, when will I be inspected?
Applications are processed in the order they are received. In order to expedite this process, please make sure the application is complete and includes the appropriate license issued by the S.C. Department of Revenue for the retail sales of fireworks: a current Certificate of Insurance (per S.C. Code of Laws 40-56-230) and payment. Inspections are scheduled based on the "Facility Setup Date" on the application. This date should indicate when the facility will be ready for inspection. Board inspectors will make every effort to contact you to schedule your inspection prior to the indicated "Facility Opening Date." Please allow for five (5) business days between the setup and opening date on the application. If you are not contacted by an inspector by the opening date, please contact the Board office. You cannot open prior to being issued a license by a Board inspector.
Will a Temporary Fireworks Stand be issued a Retail Fireworks Sales License if violations are present at the initial licensure inspection?
No. All temporary fireworks stands must comply with the Board-approved inspection checklist at the time of the initial licensure inspection or a license will not be issued. Any return inspection resulting from the owner's failure to comply will be charged at a rate of $75 per hour (including travel time). The inspection checklist is available in the Fireworks Retailer License application packet.
Do I need to have insurance?
Yes. The Board, per S.C. Code of Laws 40-56-230, requires that an application for a retail fireworks sales license must be accompanied by evidence that the applicant holds a policy that:
  1. provides public liability insurance coverage for retail sales activities at the location for the permitted sale period. The policy can not exclude fireworks or pyrotechnics;
  2. is issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in this State; and
  3. provides coverage in the following minimum amounts:
    • one million dollars for injuries or damage to any one person in one accident or occurrence;
    • one million dollars for injuries to two or more persons in any accident or occurrence; and
    • one million dollars combined single-limit coverage for any one accident or occurrence
  4. Provides the Board with at least thirty (30) days written notice of policy cancellation or suspension.