What do I need to do in order to be able to work with Liquefied Petroleum Gas in South Carolina?

There are several steps that must be followed in order to work with LP Gas in South Carolina.

  • Licensure and permit applications must be completed and returned to our office with the appropriate fees and all required attachments.
  • All appropriate examinations must be passed. To schedule your exam prior to applying for a permit with the Board, sign up on PSI’s website.
  • An inspection must be requested and completed for dealers, resellers, utility plants and cylinder exchange (only if a storage facility for cylinders).

Once equipment is installed, the supplier must make a request for an inspection of the equipment/installation by emailing contact.lpgas@llr.sc.gov or calling (803) 896-5571. An inspection will be conducted by a Deputy State Fire Marshal on behalf of the Board. Once equipment/installation has passed inspection, all appropriate fees have been paid, and employees have passed the appropriate examinations, the company license and permit cards will be issued.

As a Liquefied Petroleum Gas dealer, how do I obtain a final inspection of a new site location?

As a Liquefied Petroleum Gas dealer, how do I obtain a final inspection of a new site location?

Once the supplier of propane has ensured that the installation of equipment is compliant with appropriate codes and standards, the dealer (supplier) must request for an inspection of the equipment/installation by emailing contact.lpgas@llr.sc.gov or calling (803) 896-5571.

What examinations are offered for LP Gas?

All applicants wishing to obtain a permit as a LP Gas Reseller, Dealer or Installer, must pass the written examination approved by Board prior to applying. The easiest way to register to take the exam is through PSI’s website.

How do I register for an examination?

The easiest way to register to take an exam is through PSI's website and look for South Carolina information.

All study materials and permitted exam materials can be found in the Candidate Information Bulletin. Once you review the Candidate Information Bulletin, contact PSI at (855) 746-8173 or visit their website to schedule your exam.

How can I purchase NFPA Codes?

The NFPA website has the code manuals available to purchase.

How long do I have to wait for my exam results?

You will receive your exam results at the conclusion of your exam.

How often can I take the exam?

Any applicant who fails the examination is allowed one (1) re-test after a minimum seven (7) day waiting period. Any applicant who fails the re-test shall wait at least thirty (30) days before retesting. 

How long are the licenses and permits valid?

Each license and permit must be renewed biennially and is valid through June 30 of the applicable year. Renewals take place on even years (ie. 2018, 2020. 2022). A late fee of $100 will be charged to a licensee who fails to file a renewal application before July 1 in the applicable year. Renewals with late fee are only accepted until August 31. A licensee who fails to renew may be required to comply with the requirements of initial licensure.

What happens if the permit holder is no longer employed?

Each licensed site must have a designated person that has a permit issued by the Board to supervise people handling, dispensing, installing, transporting, repairing, or exchanging LP Gas. If there is no longer a permit holder at a location, you must immediately cease LP Gas activities at that site and contact the Board. Failure to comply may result in suspension or revocation of your license. The Board recommends that all licensed sites have more than one permitted employee to limit any potential down time associated with employment changes.

Does everyone who pumps propane have to be certified and hold a permit card?

No, employees may work under a permitted employee's certification. However, the permitted employee is responsible for the training of others, and is the responsible party for that location. This training must be documented in writing in each employees training file.

What are the fees?

The Board accepts checks and money orders. Checks and money orders must be made payable to the SC Board of LP Gas.


Is there an age requirement for working with propane in South Carolina?

Yes, employees must be at least 18 years old.

Does South Carolina have reciprocity with other states?

Reciprocity is not offered. In order to work with LP Gas in South Carolina, you must pass the required examination.

Does my LP Gas license or permit allow me to also work with Natural Gas?

No. Natural Gas requires an appropriate license with the Contractor’s Licensing Board or the Residential Builders Commission.

If I am a licensed reseller, do I need to do anything if I switch my propane dealer?

If the existing equipment is staying, but the propane supplier is changing, you can send that to the Board by email. If there is a dealer and equipment change, you need to submit the Reseller Dispenser/ Equipment Change Form and $100 inspection fee to the Board.

Why do you need a copy of my Social Security Card?

All LP Gas employee permit applications must include a copy of the applicant’s Social Security Card. This is because state law requires we do so for child support enforcement purposes.  Once Board staff receives a copy of the applicant’s social security card, we match it with the number on the application, and then we shred it.  Similarly, we use the name on the driver’s license to match the application to ensure that the person who applies for the license can verify they are who they say they are. 

Since this information is required by law, we are unable to process applications without it.

SECTION 63-17-1080. Social Security numbers to be provided.

An applicant for a license or for renewal of a license shall submit the applicant's social security number, or the alien identification number assigned to a resident alien who does not have a social security number, to the licensing entity which must be recorded on the application.