ENGLISH PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS
An applicant whose native language is not English shall submit evidence of passing an English proficiency exam administered by a board approved service.
BOARD APPROVED ENGLISH PROFICIENCY SERVICES
NOTE: All individual test results will be valid for seven years. "Super-Scoring" is valid for two years prior to the application date.
Cambridge English: https://www.cambridgeenglish.org
- Standard: C1; Overall score of 176 with a minimum speaking score of 185.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Passing Standard: Overall score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in Reading, Writing, and Listening; AND 7.0 in Speaking.
Michigan English Test (MET):
- Passing Standard: Overall score of 55 with a minimum of 55 in Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking.
Occupational English Test (OET):
- Passing Standard: Minimum of 350 in Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking.
Pearson PTE Academic: https://www.pearsonpte.com/
- Passing Standard: Overall score of 55 with a minimum of 50 in Reading, Writing, and Listening; AND 60 in Speaking.
Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT):
- Passing Standard: Overall score of 83, with a minimum Reading, Listening & Writing Combined score of 57; AND a score of 26 in Speaking.
Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC):
- Passing Standard: A minimum score of 725 in Reading and Listening; 150 in Writing, and 160 in Speaking.
International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP) Academic: https://www.itepexam.com/
- Passing Standard: Overall score of 3.8 with a minimum of 3.5 in Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking.
EXEMPTION FROM THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT
To be exempt from having to take an English language proficiency examination, you must meet BOTH of the following requirements:
- English must have been the language of instruction, including the language of the textbooks.
- Your entry level nursing education was completed in one of the following countries:
- Canada (except Quebec, the only schools approved for exemption are: McGill University, Dawson College, Vanier College, John Abbott College, and Heritage College)
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Kingdom
- United States
If you meet these criteria, you do not need to take an English language proficiency examination.