"Continuing Education Hour" means one (1) contact hour of participation in a continuing education activity.
"Contact hour" means a minimum of fifty (50) minutes of instruction.
- Certificates of Registration issued to individuals expire biennially. They must be renewed for the following licensure period by payment of the renewal fee and by reporting completion of the required continuing education hours. Certificates shall become invalid unless renewed.
- Certificates of Authorization issued to firms expire biennially. They must be renewed for the following licensure period by payment of the renewal fee and shall become invalid unless renewed.
- Lapsed Certificates of Registration may be renewed by the Board at any time within one year from the date of expiration on payment of the renewal fee plus late penalties and demonstration of twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education in health, safety and welfare topics. In case of failure to renew within one year from the date of expiration, the Certificate cannot be reissued except by a new application accompanied by the application fee and approval by the Board.
- Lapsed Certificates of Authorization may be renewed by the Board at any time within one year from the date of expiration on payment of the renewal fee plus late penalties. In case of failure to renew within one year from the date of expiration, the Certificate cannot be reissued except by a new application accompanied by the application fee and approval by the Board.
11-8.1. Continuing Education
- These requirements shall apply to every South Carolina registered architect as a condition for renewal of registration.
- Exemptions: A registrant may be exempt from the continuing education requirements for one of the following reasons:
- Noncompliance and Sanctions. Failure to fulfill the continuing education requirements, shall be considered a violation of the Architectural Registration Law. Failure to file the required report, properly completed and signed, or to comply with audit and verification requests within thirty (30) days of notice shall be considered a violation of the Architectural Registration Law.
(1) A first-time new registrant by examination will be exempt for the first renewal.
(2) A registrant serving on active military duty may be exempt for some or all of the continuing education requirements.
(3) Hardship cases may be considered by the Board on an individual basis upon submittal of relevant documentation acceptable to the Board in its discretion.
(4) Architects in Emeritus status as defined in Section 40-3-20 of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
(1) Each South Carolina Registered architect shall complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) continuing education hours each biennial licensure period in topics related to health, safety and welfare. No carry-over of continuing education hours into the next biennial licensure period is permitted. However, carry-over within the licensing period is allowed.
(2) Each registrant shall submit, on a form provided by the board, a signed affidavit attesting to the fulfillment of continuing education requirements for the prior biennial licensure period.
(3) Each affidavit may be subject to audit for verification of compliance with requirements. Registrants shall retain proof of fulfillment of requirements for a period of two (2) years after submission in the event the affidavit is selected for audit. Registrants must comply with audit deadlines and requirements.
(4) The Board may disallow claimed credit for continuing education hours. The registrant shall have forty-five (45) calendar days after notification of disallowance of credit to substantiate the original claim or earn other continuing education credit which fulfills minimum requirements.