Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
          License Status Changes
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4686
        Administrator:Roger K. Lowe
        Board Staff:Rhonda Jackson
        Board Staff:Faith Howell
        Board Staff:Chanda Davis
        Board Staff:Lee English
        Board Staff:Vacant
        Board Staff:Shakera Thomas
        Board Staff:Yolanda Barnes
        Advice Counsel:   Georgia Lewis   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board

Determining if a License is Required and What Type

Please read the following information to determine if a contractor's license is required by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

*General and Mechanical Contractors License *

· A General or Mechanical Contractors license is required for anyone performing "commercial” construction over $5000 in the regulated classifications listed in Title 40, Chapter 11, Section 40-11-410, An Act to Regulate the Practice of General and Mechanical Contracting in S.C.

To be eligible to obtain the license, you must pass a technical exam (when required), a business management/law exam and be able to document 2 years of experience within the last 5 years for the classification(s) of work in which you are applying.

Please see How to Apply for a License for additional documentation needed for licensure.

*South Carolina Residential Builders Commission*

For single and two family residences and apartment buildings up to 16 units and three stories in height, licenses and registrations are required for certain trades.

 All residential licenses require passing an examination and include:
* Building;
* Plumbing;
* Electrical; and,

Registrations do not require passing an examination and include.
* Painting;
* Vinyl / Aluminum Siding;
* Insulation;
* Roofing;
* Floor Covering;
* Masonry / Concrete;
* Drywall;
* Carpentry; and,
* Wallpaper.

For further information concerning residential licenses and registrations, call 803 896 4696 or go to:

*Municipal Association of South Carolina*

The Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC) is a trade certification program - not a licensing agency of the State. MASC offers various trade certifications in the construction industry. The MASC trade certification cards do not serve as a license to perform any type of construction for residential work over $200 or for commercial work over $5000. Contact (803) 799-9574 for information.

If you passed the Master Plumber or Master Electrician exam after 01/01/1990, or the Master Mechanical/HARV exam after 09/06/2013, you will not be required to take a technical exam. However, you must take the S.C. Business Management and Law exam to obtain a license. For more information, see: How to Apply for a License, "How to Apply for a License by Waiver".

Please also refer to An Act to Regulate the Practice of General and Mechanical Contracting in S.C., Section 40-11-410, to determine what type of work requires licensure.

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)