Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4664
        Administrator:Marlo Thomas-Koger
        Board Staff:Sheliah Jones
        Advice Counsel:   Mary League   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Board of Social Work Examiners

Frequently Asked Questions

I am an LMSW moving to SC from another state.  In SC can I practice in a private practice setting, deliver clinical services in private practice and receive direct payment from the client or third-party reimbursement?

No. In SC, an LMSW cannot practice in a private or independent practice setting but can only practice in settings such as social, medical or governmental agencies. All clinical services in independent or private practice must be provided by LISW-CPs (those social workers who have met the education, supervision and examination licensure requirements of the Board for the LISW-CP.)

Must I have a degree in Social Work to be licensed as a Social Worker?

Yes. Graduation from an accredited program in Social Work with a BSW, MSW or DSW is a requirement for licensure. Persons who have bachelor degrees in sociology, psychology or related disciplines and who are interested in practice as a Social Worker are encouraged to contact one of the accredited programs in this state. Many courses from those degree programs may transfer to a Social Work degree.

How do I become an approved LISW supervisor?

To become an approved supervisor, one must first be a Licensed Independent Social Worker, CP or AP and have a minimum of 4500 hours of clinical/advanced practice earned over a period of not less than 3 years beyond receipt of LISW CP/AP and have obtained 45 academic coursework hours or continuing education hours in supervision.

Can a Licensed Masters Social Worker who is under board approved supervision accept additional or changed duties or modify his or her area of practice during the period of supervision?

The LMSW may accept additional or changed duties so long as those duties fall within the defined scope of the practice for which supervision was approved. Supervision is required for both LISW-CP and LISW-AP. Supervision of clinical practice does not qualify an applicant for LISW-AP. Similarly supervision of advanced practice does not qualify an applicant for LISW-CP. However, the applicant may take on a variety clinical or advance practice duties during the time of supervision.

Do I have to attend a workshop or can I get C.E. credit from home study course over the Internet?

Yes. You can obtain C.E. credit from home study courses via the Internet. There are many excellent Board approved home study courses available to licensees that can be taken in the comfort of their homes. Some of these include,,, or, just to name a few or you may contact the Board office for more home study options.

How do I know if a training/seminar is approved for CEUs?

First check to see if the flyer denotes approval by the S.C. Board, ASWB or NASW. If the flyer does not indicate this, check your guidelines to see if the sponsor falls under the pre-approved sponsor list. If you're still unsure if the workshop/seminar is approved, contact the sponsor of the workshop/seminar. The sponsor will know if the South Carolina Board has approved the workshop for Continuing Education.

If the presenter of Continuing Education is a Ph.D., would the hours be social work or non-social work hours?

The hours would count as non-social work hours, unless the presenter's degree was a BSW, MSW or DSW. If the Ph.D. is in social work, the CEU's would then count towards your social work hours.

Back to the Top

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)