Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4696
        Administrator:Janet Baumberger
        Board Staff:Allison Baker
        Board Staff:Bonny Sweat
        Board Staff:Stacey Mundy
        Board Staff:Sherrie Roberts
        Board Staff:Trisha Mueller
        Advice Counsel:   Stacey Hewson  **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Residential Builders Commission

How can I become a Registered as a Specialty Contractor?

A residential specialty contractor is an independent contractor, who is not a licensed residential builder. The specialty contractor contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do construction work, repairs, improvements, or re-improvements requiring special skills and involving the use of specialized construction trades or crafts, when the undertakings exceed $200.

In addition to licensing residential builders, the Commission also registers specialty contractors in the following 9 classifications at the cost of $50 and upon credit approval:

  1. Vinyl and aluminum siding installers
  2. Insulation installers
  3. Roofers
  4. Floor covering installers
  5. Masons
  6. Drywall installers
  7. Carpenters
  8. Stucco installers
  9. Painters/Wall paper hange

To become registered as a specialty contractor in South Carolina, you are required to:

  • File a written application as required by the Commission.
  • Fee must be a certified check, cashiers check or money order only.
  • Submit three (3) reference letters from individuals that knows your work.
  • Submit a surety bond if the work will exceed $5,000.

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)