Board of Architectural Examiners
CONTINUING EDUCATION REGULATIONS
SOUTH CAROLINA BOARD OF ARCHITECTURAL EXAMINERS
Regulation 11-1. Definitions.
1. “Continuing Education Hour” means one (1) contact hour of participation in a continuing education activity.
2. “Contact hour” means a minimum of fifty (50) minutes of instruction.
Regulation 11-8. Renewals.
A. Certificates of Registration issued to individuals expire biennially. They must be renewed for the following licensure period by payment of the renewal fee and by reporting completion of the required continuing education hours. Certificates shall become invalid unless renewed.
B. Certificates of Authorization issued to firms expire biennially. They must be renewed for the following licensure period by payment of the renewal fee and shall become invalid unless renewed.
C. Lapsed Certificates may be reinstated by the Board at any time during the remainder of the licensure period on demonstration of qualification and payment of the renewal fee plus late penalties. In case of failure to reinstate by the end of the licensure period, the Certificate cannot be reissued except by a new application accompanied by the application fee and approval by the Board
Regulation 11-8.1. Continuing Education.
A. These requirements shall apply to every South Carolina registered architect as a condition for renewal of registration.
B. Exemptions: A registrant may be exempt from the continuing education requirements for one of the following reasons:
(1) A first-time new registrant by examination or reciprocity will be exempt for the first renewal.
(2) A registrant is exempt from completing continuing education requirements for his profession while serving on active military duty.
(3) Hardship cases may be considered on an individual basis.
(4) Emeritus architects will be exempt from the continuing education requirements.
(1) Each South Carolina Registered architect shall complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) continuing education hours each biennial licensure period in topics related to safeguarding life, health, property and promoting public welfare.
(2) Each registrant shall submit, on a form provided by the board, a signed affidavit attesting to the fulfillment of continuing education requirements during the preceding period. Carry-over of a maximum of twenty-four (24) continuing education hours per renewal period is permitted.
(3) Each affidavit may be subject to audit for verification of compliance with requirements. Registrants shall retain proof of fulfillment of requirements for a period of two (2) years after submission in the event the affidavit is selected for audit. Registrants must comply with audit deadlines and requirements.
(4) The Board may disallow claimed credit for continuing education hours. The registrant shall have one hundred eighty (180) calendar days after notification of disallowance of credit to substantiate the original claim or earn other continuing education credit which fulfills minimum requirements.
D. Noncompliance and Sanctions. Failure to fulfill the continuing education requirements, to file the required report, properly completed and signed, or to comply with audit and verification requests shall be considered a violation of the Architectural Registration Law.
Approved by S.C. Legislature 7/1/10